Wednesday, June 3, 2009

baby showers

Friday, May 29, was our baby shower day. First, NJG had a baby shower at work mid-day. I walked over for it. There was pizza and cake and lots of presents from his employees and coworkers. Then, that night was the baby shower thrown by my friends and coworkers. I had 3 hostesses. The shower was at one of their homes. First we played 2 baby games. One was filling in missing words in nursery rhymes, which I was not good at. The second was looking at a tray of baby products and memorizing the contents and then writing them all down. This was much more of my type of game.

baby shower games

Then, there was a traditional Indian ceremony performed for us by the mother of the hostess, who was visiting from India. The ceremony is traditionally performed for mothers-to-be. I can't remember what everything symbolized, but we had the traditional red dots placed on our foreheads that married people wear, I was given a scarf, bracelet, and apple, there were flames and water each passed around us 5 times, rice put on our heads, and cookies put in our mouths. It was quite interesting.

baby shower ceremony

baby shower ceremony 2

We then had cookies and ice cream and coffee, followed by gift opening. Many of the gifts were wrapped in Indian sheets to be more eco-friendly. After I finished opening all the gifts, one of the hostesses announced that she was going to share what was said on the night the baby was conceived. She then began to repeat things I had said while opening the gifts, which apparently she had been writing down. What followed were quotes such as "i'm not complaining, it just looks long" and finished with a quote from NJG of "it's so complicated, it's like a 3-step process"...maybe you had to be there, but it was quite funny.

baby shower present opening

Everyone received a tiny succulent plant as their parting gift.

I will follow with another post about gifts received later...

No comments: