Wednesday, January 13, 2010

not eating

IJG has been "eating" for about a week now. The problem is, he doesn't eat.


1.8.10

So far he hasn't eaten:
avocado
butternut squash
pumpkin
green beans
sweet potato
peas
banana
brown rice cereal
oatmeal cereal

If you have seen the video of his first meal, you wouldn't think this is the case, but since his first meal, he has eaten very little. He did eat a good amount of butternut squash once and green beans once, but other than these 3 meals, he grimaces, gags, and spits everything out. When I mix rice cereal with breast milk, he doesn't seem to have an aversion to the taste/texture, he just isn't interested in swallowing it.

I'm trying to keep the eating experience pleasant, so as soon as he starts to fuss, I stop feeding him and take him out of the highchair.

What he does seem to like is the flavor of apple, which I've given him in a Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder



I steamed and pureed some organic Cameo apples tonight. I wanted to delay introducing fruit until after he accepted the vegetables, but I'm also interested in just having him practice eating, so I'm trying to find something he likes. Banana didn't work today. I'll try the apples tomorrow.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to deal with the mess. I tried a large diaper attached with a clothes pin the other day.




1.8.10



Sometimes the presence of food in his mouth is so disturbing he needs to suck his thumb for comfort. This of course greatly increases the mess.


1.12.10

This was today's attempt with bananas.


1.13.10

He enjoys shopping for food far more than he enjoys eating it.


1.9.10

No comments: