Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Winter Trip

The Monday before New Year's we went on our longest family road trip yet. We were headed to New Mexico but 2 hours into the drive our car broke down. We had to wait almost an hour for a tow truck to take us to a dealership in San Antonio.
  photo Picture30_zps0fc36973.png

 photo Picture29_zpsd6673347.png

After four wasted hours we were on our way in a rented SUV, leaving our car in San Antonio to be worked on.  We purchased a used iPad for the kids and it was a big help in getting us through the long drive.
 photo Picture12_zpse4424000.png

We arrived at our first destination, a cabin in Ruidoso, around bedtime.
 photo Picture24_zpsb8062469.png

A view of the RV park from our cabin:
 photo Picture23_zps7065ea34.png

Deer were walking around the streets and eating.
 photo Picture13_zps4b43f4b5.png

We got up Tuesday morning and went out to breakfast. When we came out of the restaurant it was snowing.
 photo Picture21_zps370ec5f3.png

The restaurant was also a bakery and they bring out bread dough for the kids to play with.
 photo Picture22_zps54751c94.png

After breakfast we bought a $5 sled and some rope, found some hills and went sledding. I received free snow gear from someone getting rid of it a few weeks before the trip.
 photo Picture20_zps44547780.png

 photo Picture19_zps1c36c52f.png

 photo Picture28_zps35a8adf6.png

 photo Picture18_zps4ef5dd7d.png

 photo Picture17_zpsece1d11a.png

 photo Picture15_zps849ecaf8.png

 photo Picture16_zpsfe7f99d9.png

 photo Picture14_zpsa6f37871.png

The next day we left Ruidoso and headed for Las Cruces. After checking in to our hotel we took the kids to a park.
 photo Picture11_zps891b66cb.png

We then all got cleaned up and ready for a wedding...the whole reason behind our trip to NM.
 photo Picture9_zps3e767d1b.png

 photo Picture10_zps77fbdbd6.png

 photo Picture27_zps424d4398.png

Just married!
 photo Picture8_zps558f7a9b.png

The next day, before we headed home we went to White Sands and had more sledding fun.
 photo Picture7_zpsb6e25a6a.png

Neal pulling ZJ.
 photo Picture5_zps20158e2c.png

 photo Picture6_zps5cbd53f6.png

 photo Picture26_zps374b327a.png

 photo Picture25_zps109fd7ed.png

Mid-day we were on our way back to TX. As evening approached we drove straight into a TX winter storm. The roads were icy and littered with overturned 18 wheelers. We were crawling along and realized we weren't going to make it to our reserved hotel room.
 photo Picture2_zps91580793.png

We called all the hotel rooms in the area and there were no rooms available anywhere. We had to sleep in our vehicle in a hotel parking lot. The kids slept at least. It was freezing and horribly uncomfortable.
 photo Picture4_zps6eff71d9.png

 photo Picture3_zps9939d568.png

The next morning we helped ourselves to the complimentary hotel breakfast, called around to check on the roads and headed out. We knew we'd have some miles of ice but it would improve after a bit so we just crept along for a while.
 photo Picture1_zps3aa23fc6.png

We got back to San Antonio that afternoon and luckily our car was just about ready. We made it home around 7 that night.


No comments: